As a website content optimizer (or website copywriter) the value you bring to your client must go beyond just writing web pages. Optimizing websites is crucial for any website success; equally important is helping clients plan and maximize online and offline marketing and social networking techniques to drive traffic, increase website conversion and boost their website results over time.
Today, boosting website results also means helping clients understand and use social media as part of their online marketing.
Website marketing techniques run the gamut… and as a copywriter you can show clients how to use regular product updates, articles, newsletters, PPC (Pay Per Click), blogs, social bookmarking, linking, landing pages, video and more to increase both traffic and conversions for your client.
The fact is, it’s not enough to simply write a web page or website… copywriters and marketers must understand how to drive traffic to it, how to analyse how it’s doing and how to increase traffic over time. This means preparing a web marketing plan, ideally one for both online and offline marketing. There’s always plenty of emphasis placed on the online marketing techniques… each of which is important. However there are also many offline marketing methods to drive traffic to a website.
Here are 7 Offline marketing marketing ideas for creating exposure and driving traffic
1. Put the website domain name and tagline on all company branded materials the client already uses, including
- Business cards
- Letterheads and envelopes
- Sales materials such as brochures, sell sheets, flyers
- Newspaper ads
- Phone book ad
- Promotional items, such as pens, notepads, mugs, calendars
- Voicemail messages
- Email signatures
- Invoices, statements, contracts
- TV and radio adverts
- PR materials, such as press releases and media kits
These may seem obvious, yet it is amazing how many offline materials omit the company domain name and tagline.
2. When you write a new website or optimize an existing one announce it through news releases. These days social media allows you to quickly write news releases and submit them yourself.
3. Sponsor networking events and make brochures available with the company’s website address and tagline
4. Give away product samples labelled with the domain name
5. Send a postcard to current customers offering a free download or discount purchase if they purchase something or inquire through the new website
6. Offer to be a subject matter expert for free… give a talk and include handout materials with the company domain name and tagline clearly visible
7. Put the company website address and tagline on company vehicles
There are many other offline marketing tactics your client can use. They key is to suggest them and include as many as possible as part of your client’s website marketing plan. And whatever marketing method you use, ensure they:
- Clearly establish how your client’s website solves their audience’s problems or fulfils their desires
- Are done in a simple, eye-catching way, so they stand out tastefully
- Establish trust and build on what your client’s business and brand stands for
Next: Online marketing strategies.